Monday, December 23, 2013

Beets 'n things

I woke up feeling sick this morning, again, for the 20th some odd day in a row. Instead of my usual cup or two of coffee and coconut creamer ('cause I'm fake healthy, remember guys?!) I decided to whip up some juice!

I'm too impatient to spend any time on cooking, so in about 1 minute I had raided my fridge and came up with a pile of this:


And 30 seconds after taking this picture, turned it into two glasses of this:


I suppose I should post a recipe.. I shall call it..

Beets 'n things
2 small beets
1 carrot
1 cucumber
1 1/2 apples
1 handful of kale 
3 red chard leaves
1 small squeeze of lemon

Wash your stuff. Cut up anything that doesn't quite fit in the juicer chute. Throw away the kale that you realize you purchased a month ago because at the time, kale salads sounded great. Turn on your juicer. Ask your husband why the juicer isn't working. Flip up the safety bar. Turn on juicer. Shmoosh fruits and veggies into juicer and pour into glasses. Sip and feel like you've somewhat made up for all the junk you consumed over the weekend

That was way too many steps. But you get the idea. I used to juice more often, and my general rule is to mix up the sweet stuff, like root vegetables and fruits, with the really good for you stuff, like dark, leafy greens. This particular juice was heavy on sugary veggies, which is still better than juicing a chocolate bar, but it tasted delicious and is a good start to get back into the habit. 

In hindsight, I should have thrown some ginger in there to help with the stomach ache, but 10 minutes into my juice and I'm feeling better. Ooooh the power of juice! I say that half sarcastically, but I do know that long term, by body on clean foods and juice is much, much happier.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment