Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Behold, the power of running

Before workout, for 90 minutes while stuck in traffic:
Very realistic dramatic reenactment
Five minutes into workout:
Weeeeeeeeeeee!
More often than not, I actually do a mental "weeeeeee!" shortly after I start a run and I've warmed up. Even hours later when I'm in the office and dealing with the stresses of the day, the things that might normally ruin my day are only minor annoyances.

If anyone were to ask me why I run, my answer wouldn't be for my physical health or looking good. True, staying in shape is a big plus, but the real reason is that it helps me deal with my day. When my commute eats up 90 minutes of my morning, or I have so many to-dos that I'm going a mile a minute, or last minute changes have me scrambling to fix something - running helps me take things in stride so that I can come home and enjoy a relaxing night with my husband.

I believe that runner's high is a real thing, and that everyone can benefit from a daily run. Or jog. Or cycle. Or power walk. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as it gets you moving and gives you those happy feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment