Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Things you'll regret when you're old. Or tomorrow.


My husband sent this to me today while I was at work: Those Top 37 Things You'll Regret When You're Old. We've been doing a lot of reflection of life and what makes us happy lately.

I'm a couple years away from 30, so I'm hardly considered old. But not everyone gets to be old. If I could somehow see into the future and find out that tomorrow was my last day, these are the things from the list that I'd regret:

1. Not traveling when you had the chance.
It would not be an overestimation to say that I've thought about traveling around the world at least 20 times a day for the past 3 years. 
2. Not learning another language.
Five years of Spanish used in 0 practical settings.
6. Being scared to do things.
This.
7. Failing to make physical fitness a priority.
It always comes and goes, but has never been consistent. 
10. Not trying harder in school.
My only focus in college was to be done as quickly as possible so that I could get on to working in the real world. Three years later, I had a bachelor's degree in a discipline that has added no value to my profession, zero college friends, and zero happy undergraduate memories. Wasting that experience has always been one of biggest regrets.
11. Not realizing how beautiful you were.
Don't. Take. Compliments. Well. Everyone is prettier/skinnier/more beautiful than me. 
15. Caring too much about what other people think.
This this this.
16. Supporting others’ dreams over your own.
Or rather others' dreams FOR me. I'm still trying to figure out what my genuinely are.
19. Not standing up for yourself.
I've had a lot of opportunities here, and nearly always take the peaceful route. Ok, always. 
22. Missing the chance to ask your grandparents questions before they die.
This hit home yesterday, when I found out that my grandmother (who I haven't seen for 8 years) is in the ICU. Now I'm frantically trying to plan a trip to the Philippines with my husband so that he can meet her. I wish it wasn't under these circumstances.
23. Working too much.
I've inherited this from my parents. I've been working full time since I was 16 with no more than 2 weeks off at a time (though I'd obsessively check and respond to emails on my phone, from Italy or Bali or wherever I was trying to escape). 
26. Failing to finish what you start.
If I had kept going I'd be done by now.
31. Never taking a big risk (especially in love).
I'm the safest person I know, and sometimes that's disappointing.
33. Worrying too much.
To the point where sleeping is a problem. 
35. Not spending enough time with loved ones.
I'm calling my mom and little brother tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment