Monday, January 20, 2014

Internet Diet

via
I'm one of those smug people who don't have cable and can go off on a tangent at the drop of a hat about how having a TV in the bedroom is soooo bad for you. My husband and I just aren't huge TV people. We will binge watch a beloved series on occasion or a movie we meant to catch in theaters, but for the most part, the one TV in hour house is usually off.

*Pats self of the back for only having one TV in the house vs. the American average of three.*

Just don't ask me about the internet.

Ok then, if I'm going to be honest with myself about my bad digital habits, then yes, I have an unhealthy relationship with the internet.

We may only have one TV, but we do have two laptops, a desktop, and iPad and two iPhones. Am I guilty of browsing Facebook on my iPhone while scrolling through Pinterest on my laptop? Yes.

I haven't crafted, purchased, or cooked 90% of the things I've pinned, or implemented more than one or two of the life hacking articles skimmed. I don't watch any of the reality shows that the gossip sites scrutinize, the news I read is of little personal interest to me and forgotten within minutes, and the life updates I scroll through from "friends" on Facebook are composed of updates from people I rarely or never see in real life. The internet is the new TV, for me anyway, and now that I've recognized that I'm not as digitally healthy as I should be, I know I need to find ways to stop using the net to avoid and postpone real life.

I'm going try a little something this week that I think will have a positive effect on my productivity. It's called "don't spend so much damn time on the internet."

I do need to be online for work and creating this blog, so I'm not going to ban myself entirely. The idea is to be mindful of avoiding the places that have me avoiding my to-do list, or even just the moment because I'm so busy checking in on other peoples' moments.

Aroundabouts this time next week, I'll be back with an update! Time to break out a real live book and enjoy me breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment