Friday, January 3, 2014

Don't break the chain


A few of you have responded to my latest posts saying that you also plan to do a little bit of something happy or healthy every day, so I thought I'd share something has been super helpful for me. The image above is from an app that I use called Habit List. In a nutshell, you set up the habits that you would like to develop, and then check them off as you complete them every day, or every other day, or every week, or however frequently you need to do something. 

I downloaded this app last year after learning about Jerry Seinfeld's Don't Break the Chain productivity advice. As I mentioned in my resolutions post, a little bit ever day is better than a lot just one day. Skipping just one day makes it easier to skip the next, and the next, and the next. One of the things that I like best about the app is that it keeps track of how many days in a row you've performed your task. This feature creates just that bit of added pressure to keep the chain intact.

The list I've posted above were my daily habits, but I also have a few set up that I only want to do every other day and once a week, and they only pop up when they're due. The latest update of the app includes some fancy graphing features that I have yet to explore, but as one of my favorite sayings is "what gets measured gets done," I'm sure I'll love them too. 

This post is in no way shape or form sponsored - it's just something that I find to be genuinely helpful. A notebook or calendar or other app can probably accomplish the same thing just as well. If you're interested in trying this particular app, it's $2.99 in the iTunes store. Don't go crazy and set up 25 habits OR make them difficult to achieve, like running 10 miles every single day. The idea is to set up something to get you moving, and I usually find that after 15 minutes, I'm happy to keep working out, or 10 minutes later, I'm lost in my book and won't put it down. 

Happy habit-forming!

No comments:

Post a Comment