Friday, January 24, 2014

Healthy-ish Ramen


I was a walking zombie when I finally got home last night after work and Zumba at 9. A starving, walking zombie. I had zero energy to spend more than a few minutes preparing a dinner, and chips and salsa and a spoonful of PB wasn't going to cut it.

I tried something new instead.

Healthy-ish Ramen

  • Package of stovetop ramen (I used the "Oriental" flavor)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups of fresh spinach
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 2-3 mushrooms, sliced
  • garlic chili paste
  • cilantro
  • 4 cups of water
Put the egg (in the shell!) and 2 cups of water in a small pot over high heat. When the water comes to a boil, throw your ramen noodles in there too. 

After 3 mins of boiling, use a slotted spoon to take the egg out and rinse it under cold water. Pour out the water in the pot (to get rid of some of the starch and fat in the noodles) and replace it with 2 fresh cups of water. Put it back on the stove with the heat on medium until the water is hot again.

When the noodles look just about done, stir in HALF of the seasoning packet, the spinach, mushrooms, and green onions and turn the heat off. Peel the soft-boiled egg while all that goodness is hanging out. 

Pour the contents of the pot into your soup bowl and top with the soft-boiled egg, about a teaspoon of the garlic chili paste, and a bit of fresh cilantro. Enjoy!

This ended up being waaaaaay yummier than than the plain old ramen I had as a broke college student. Next time I might try adding some thinly sliced pork or beef to make it heartier. And I probably could have gotten away with using even less of the seasoning packet - this is the unhealthiest part of stovetop ramen because it's full sodium. The additions to the soup make up more than enough in terms of flavor.

I still wouldn't call this a health food, or something I would eat every day, but in a pinch, it's better than a run through a drive-thru.




No comments:

Post a Comment